Tuesday 6 January 2009

More birds

I got plenty of photos of birds in the past couple of days, all taken in the cant that we cut last winter. Some of them I've posted here before, but I've got better pictures now, so here they are.

First up, one of the robins (there's at least two that we see around our camp):
Here he is looking cold in the snow:
and here he is picking at one of the bits of food we've left out for him:
Next is a wren. Today one came about a metre from me, but sadly I didn't have my camera with me at the time, so this is still the best picture so far (taken at a greater distance and cropped):
A few days ago I posted some pictures of a juvenile Goldcrest. Well, here's the adult
There was actually a small flock of them hopping around in the leaves - they seem to like the boundary between the cant we cut and the trees that are still standing next to it - more evidence of the "edge effect" I guess.

Here's one I was pleased to capture properly for the first time - a Nuthatch:
He was prowling around an oak, examining the bark to see if there were any bugs to eat:
And finally, a mystery bird - I was only able to get a photo of it in the distance, and have tried to clean it up a bit. It was about the size of a Wood Pigeon, perhaps a little larger. But the colours aren't those of a pigeon I think. If you have any suggestions, please leave a comment.
Mike

No comments: